Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Friday, January 19, 2024

THE BLACK TARANTULA (APRIL 1950)

 This is issue #5 of the Hero Books comic A Feature Presentation (formerly Women in Love --which to my mind is a strange turnaround).  Alas, there was no further adventures of The Black Tarantula.  Perhaps thos Women in Love stomped that sucker flat...I would have, then I would have torched that thing with a flamthrower.  Hate spiders.  Hete 'em.  Hate 'em.  Hate 'em. 

Anyway, here's your chance to read about The Black Tarantula.  (For what it's worth, I think it would behoove you much better to associate with furry little bunnies.  Arachids, ugh!)


https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=88033&comicpage=&b=i

2 comments:

  1. Well, comic book publishing mailing permit accounts do tend to turn on a dime, or however much it cost to mail a comic book in the 1950...I assume you've read the kind of research that led to Fritz Leiber's Spiders vs. Snakes...that those who are afraid or hostile to the one are not usually nearly as repulsed by the others...and how and to what extent Freudians made hay with that...I can handle the friendlier examples of both, but, then, unlike my father, who had a reason as a kid to take a nap in a barn and awoke covered with small spiders, I've never had too much trauma with either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd, your father may have been lucky. Growing up on a farm, the barn spiders of my youth were ginormous -- big, fat, gray, evil...so big I could count all eight eyes. Ugh!

      Delete