- I had planned to do a great deal of travel to many, many exotic places (Tierra del Fuego, Ulan Bator, Kuala Lumpur, the Islets of Langerhans, Washington DC, i.e.). Now I am going to settle for traveling to the bathroom many, many times.
- I now hope to write the Great American Sentence.
- This was the summer I was going to learn to play the twelve-string guitar. Now I'm going to try to learn to play the radio and tune it to an oldies station.
- The next new BIG computer application will not be designed by me, alas. The time I would have spent creating it was spent slicing watermelon. I really love watermelon. I could use the next less-than-two days to design that application but -- dammit -- there's a sale on watermelon this weekend.
- This was the summer I was going to lose the excess weight. I could still lose over a hundred pounds by Labor Day, but only if I misplace my wife. Ain't gonna happen. Instead, my diet is going to be an excess "wait."
- As some of you may know, we got an eight-year-old dog this summer. My aim was to try to teach this old dog new tricks by the end of the summer. The only trick-learning was on my part: the dog taught me to leave the room whenever he passes gas. I may still be able to teach him the trick of not passing gas, but I doubt it. He's pretty set in his ways.
- I had also hoped to learn a new language this summer. Well, at least my wife has learned new language from me when the dog passes gas.
- All was not a loss. Items that never made it on my Summer 2012 Bucket List were sky diving, swimming with ravenous sharks, trying to survive a zombie apocalypse, climbing Mount Everest, riding a maddened tiger, and partying with Linsey Lohan. I am happy to report that I did not do any of those things.
Perhaps the summer worked out pretty well, after all. And, there's always next summer.