-- "The Death Position Enigma" by "Roy Vickers" (William Edward Vickers), from Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, November 1948
Martin Luther King: Today, the third Monday in January, is Martin Luther King Day. Here are a few reasons to celebrate his legacy:
- "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."
- "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable. Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.'
- "A lie cannot live."
- "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."
- 'The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
- "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.""Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
Unclear on the Concept: This weekend Vice-President Mike Pence once again demonstrated why he is the third person most dangerous to American democracy, following Speaker of the House Mitch McConnell and Liar in Chief Donald J. Trump. Pence distorted the words of Martin Luther King Jr.'s 'I Have a Dream" speech to support Trump's proposal to stop the partial government shutdown and support his border wall. I would say shame on Pence but, like his boos, he knows no shame.
Patriots: I'm not a big sports fan, but Go Patriots! Tom Brady has once again proven that age cannot whither.
Reports of Her Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated: Wishful thinking on the part of Fox News, perhaps, but they did apologize for displaying a graphic on the Fox & Friends show that falsely claimed Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was dead. For my part, the apology was just taking coals to Newcastle; I don't believe anything I hear on Fox & Friends.
On the Wrong Side of History: The anti-LGBT group One Million Moms, which was created by (according to the southern Poverty Law Center) "extremist group" American Family Center, has started a petition against Parents magazine for featuring a gay married couple and their one-year-old twins on the cover of its February issue. One Million Moms is a website, along with One Million Dads, formed to promote American Family Centers views, organize boycotts, and to urge letter writing campaigns against companies whom they fell promote the homosexual lifestyle. Among their failed campaigns were efforts to get JC Penney to drop sponsorship of Ellen DeGeneres, a campaign against Marvel and DC comics, one against GEICO because an ad showing Maxwell the pig and a girl in a car made them think of bestiality, and a blast at Campbell's Soup which featured two dads and their child.
Sorry, One Million Moms. my understanding is that same-sex parents can provide a healthier and more loving environment than some 'traditional" couples.
Weighing Things: There seems to be a decidedly liberal basis to my post today. It was not intended, believe me, but this week -- like so many others recently -- has overwhelmed me. All I can say about today's post is that it is what it is.
That justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we black are wise:
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes.
-- Langston Hughes