Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

OVERLOOKED FILM: THE SONG OF OLD WYOMING

When I was a kid, I was fascinated with Lash Larue.  For a while, he overtook Hopalong Cassidy as the first in my heart.  Lash was simply cool -- he didn't need no stinkin' gun, he had his whip!

     I imagine if the character were to be rebooted today, the whip would take on a kinkier meaning, but to the seven-year old of long ago it meant something exotic and unique.  Lash was the real goods.

     Plot and acting abilities could always be ignored in his films.  The girls swooned over him and the boys idolized him.  You can't ask for much more in a B oater.

     Here, from 1945, is his first movie in a starring role, pre-Lash (billed as Al Larue) and playing The Cheyenne Kid.  Also starring Eddie Dean (who felt this was his best picture).

http://www.archive.org/details/SongOfOldWyoming

1 comment:

  1. I was a big fan of Lash. And I even liked the somewhat chunky Whip Wilson.

    ReplyDelete