Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Thursday, March 7, 2019

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KITTY

I have loved her for 54 years and, before this month is over, will have been married to her for 49.  I am the luckiest man on earth.

Today she turns 70.  To her that is a magical age, a new chapter to be enjoyed and explored.  She has been looking forward to this day for reasons that are difficult to explain; whatever her reasons, she will go forward treating every day with excitement and wonder.

In some ways the years have taken their toll.  Her knee replacements have limited some of her activity.  A fall when entering an elevator that did not quite reach its floor left its mark.  A recent and surprise bout of anemia turned out to be very serious and she is till working on recovery.  But in every way that matters she is still the same person I fell in love with when I was 19.

She was beautiful then and she is beautiful now.  I still get lost in the brightness of her eyes and her smile reflects all that is good in this world.  Her laughter can dispel any type of gloom.  Her kindness, empathy, and intelligence far outshine mine.  I still scratch my head wondering how such a person could fall in love with such a galoomph like me.  But somehow she does love me and together we have traveled the decades through good times and bad.  We never made much money but her common sense ensured that we maintained a decent living style.  Her quick and sure instincts and determination helped save our oldest daughter when she was five as she battled doctors who told her she was being a nervous mother until the doctors finally determined that Jessie had a very rare pre-cancerous condition that few with it reached puberty.  No matter what, Kitty always knows what to do and how to react in an emergency, as she has shown time and time again.  Me?  Despite the best intentions, I'm useless.

Kitty has given us two remarkable children who, in turn, have given the world five remarkable kids.  She has given me years of happiness.  Now, as we enter her eighth decade, there lies ahead more joy, more adventure, and assuredly some sadness.  She's looking forward to this and I'm looking forward to holding her hand during the journey.

God, I love that woman.

1 comment: