Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Saturday, June 16, 2012

DRABBLE CHALLENGE

Patti Abbott issued a drabble challenge for today.  For those not in the know, a drabble is a story of exactly 100 words, as can be seen every Saturday at Rob Kitchin's blog, The View from the Blue House ( see http://theviewfromthebluehouse.blogspot.com/2012/06/can-you-smell-smoke.html for a sample).  Composing a drabble is harder than one may think and few people are as talented as Rob, but what the hell, here's my effort.  Patti should have links to others who have took up the challege at her blog, Pattinase.

MODERN MATURITY

A copperhead in the small overgrown gulley by our house bit our dog and Dad had just taken him to the vet when Debs drove up.  We were hitting a rough patch with her la-di-dah ways since she got her license.  She's older than me.  Big deal.  And Traci said I made a pass at her.

So pretty soon we both were yelling when her phone rang.  I grabbed it from her.  I have a temper.  Sue me.

That's really mature, she said.

Not really, I thought.  I threw the phone into the gulley and watched her go after it.

12 comments:

  1. This so reminds me of being 16. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, Jerry. You make a drabble seem effortless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Prashant, and I really enjoyed both of yours.

      Delete
  3. Ah, 16. Wouldn't go back there if you paid me.

    And, Patti, there is nothing scarier than a costumed dog parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo, you've perfectly captured the meaness of a young boy. Well done, Jerry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. Great funny voice. I wish you'd go on with the character. Get him into some real trouble, and then let him try to get out. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, I wanted to see this one keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that would have taken 101 words--or more. Thanks, Loren.

      Delete