Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Sunday, January 1, 2017

WE MADE IT!

Hard to believe, but 2016 is now in the rearview mirror.  It was the year that just seemed it would not end; the hits kept coming -- from the overabundance of celebrity deaths to the violence in Syria and elsewhere, from the rise of white nationalism to the election of a dangerous buffoon.  Things got so bad that Buckingham Palace was forced to announce that the Queen was not dead.  (Her Nonegenarian Majesty has been sick for the past eleven days or so but in her British stiff upper lip way she told 2016 to eat it; I sincerely hope she also makes it through 2017.)

There were many good things about 2016 and we should not forget them.  On a personal level, my family came through the year happy and healthy.  Across America and the world an amazing amount of people performed acts of kindness.  2016 brought a new determination among many of us to fight for the important things such as man's stewardship of the earth and against such stupidities such as the blind prejudice against people based on their race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, economic status, or which professional sports team they favor.  And, love her or hate her, the majority of American voters elected our first woman president.  Too bad she won't be taking the Oath of Office later this month, but the way has been cleared for the real first woman president at some time in the future, hopefully sooner than later.

The New Year is a time for resolutions.  A time to buckle down and try to become a better person, physically or otherwise.  As we progress through the year, most resolution begin to evaporate until even the mist has disappeared.  That's the reason I try not to make resolutions.  This year I think I'll make a plan, not a resolution.

This year my plan is to keep on keeping on.

Yep, I'm going to continue what I've been doing for as long as I am able.

I am going to continue showing my wife, my family, and my friends how much I love and respect them.

I am going to continue being empathetic and non-judgmental whenever possible.

I am going to continue being judgmental where it counts.

I am going to continue being snarky because there's not enough snark in this world.

I am going to continue finding beauty and wonder in what's around me.  Each of us lives in a beautiful spot on a beautiful planet in a beautiful universe.  I will not to forget that.

I am going to continue to read and watch and listen and question.

I am going to keep calling bullshit on false claims, false science, false facts, and false people.

I am going to continue to weep and mourn and rage because some bad shit is bound to go down.

I am going to continue to laugh because I am not an inanimate, unthinking object.  I am man, hear me guffaw.

I am going to continue sending my prayers and good thoughts to you and your loved ones, even though you may not realize I'm doing so.  I am going to cheer your accomplishments, even though you may not realize I'm doing so.  Part of my spirit will be with you during the hard times, even though you may not realize it.  I am going to cherish your connection to me, even though may not know who I am.

I am going to keep on keeping on.

While at the same time wishing you a very happy and prosperous 2017.

2 comments:

  1. A very nice roundup of what was and what will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jerry. You blog, posts, comments are all very much appreciated. I hope the year treats you well in every respect.

    ReplyDelete