Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Monday, August 28, 2023

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAYLEE!

Oh, the time it does fly!  Although it seems like just yesterday to me, it was actually 27 years ago that Kaylee entered this world...and for 27 years, the world has been a much better place.

On that far-off yesterday at Georgetown University Hospital, the nurses brought forth a tightly-swaddled lump of beauty -- quiet, serene, and regal.  Although I know a new-born's eyes can't focus, Kaylee's eyes were wide, seemingly taking in all around her and pronouncing it good.  She had a majestic aura of joy, that she was happy to be a part of this new worlds, her world.  Kaylee was just happy to be.  That was when we -- all of us -- fell in love with her.

When she was little, she would help me take out the trash.  She would ride on my shoulders and hold the trashbag while I bounced her up and down.  Her laughter could cure the world of all its ills.  While at the supermarket, I would get her a donut from the store's bakery.  As we roamed through the store she would eat it -- in this case, "eat it" was a euphemism for wearing it all over her face.  At the checkout line, I did not have to say a thing; the clerk would look at her and automatically ring up one donut.  If we drive past the local K-Mart, she would get excited and yell "Melmo store!," because K-Mart would carry Elmo merchandise and Elmo was her favorite Sesame Street character.  It's funny how these little moments will stay with you over the years...

As the years passed, she continued on to become the loving, smart, sensitive, caring person she is today.  I look at the person she has become and my heart swells with pride and love.  And yet there's a part of me that wishes I could still carry her on my shoulders, laughing and bouncing, as we head out with the day's trash.

Have a great birthday, my love.  You have meant more to me and your Nana than you could ever know.

1 comment: