Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Saturday, March 25, 2023

AN ANNIVERSARY

Today would have made it 53 years.

One of our favorite performers was the folk-singer Tommy Makem.  He would often tell of the time he immigrated to the United States.  After being interviewed by the immigration officer, he was welcomed to the country and the officer looked at him directly and said, "Have a great life."  In telling the story, Makem would then add, "I took him at his word."

That phrase has always been a powerful one for us.  "Have a great life."  Not, "Have a good week," or "Have a fantastic holiday," but a great life.  There's a weight and a sincerity to it that goes far beyond the banality of "Have a good day," or whatever.  It's a phrase that may be best used to someone you don't really expect to see in the near future.  Whenever I have told someone to have a great life (and I find myself doing it more and more), they appear taken aback, perhaps a bit shocked, then they smile and go on, a bit happier and, perhaps, a bit more fulfilled, perhaps knowing that someone else is on their side.

For 52 years, 5 months, and 11 days, I have had a great life,  And because of Kitty's love and strong belief in me stay with me, I continue to have a great life.  That's the miracle I live with every day.

Even though she's gone, I am celebrating 53 years with Kitty today.

And I know that somewhere she's joining me in wishing all of you a great life.


4 comments:

  1. Jerry, you always make me smile and cry. Love Cousin Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were both lucky to choose partners that brought the best out in us because they were the best. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed we were. Happy anniversary, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to cohabit for the 27th year with Alice...others have done worse, to be sure. Indeed, happy anniversary, and if it becomes possible, thank Kitty (and Tommy Makem) for the benisons as well as thank you...

    ReplyDelete